Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cingular and T-Mobile Updates

First I'll start with the comparatively small news: T-Mobile's T-Zones internet is now snazzier-looking, though this means it'll load slower on ye olde GPRS phone. Anyway, there is now a search box on quite a few pages (though it just searches within the limited T-Zones WAP deck) and a new theme that includes the T-Zones logo and various outher eye candy. You can also mess with voicemail settings from the My Account screen now, and the FAQ section inclusdes a bit about national (not international) roaming! Problem is, this roaming, slated to be on Cingular and EDGE Wireless networks, is reputed by the rep I talked to to not be on yet. :( Well at least T-Zones looks nicer and is still free.

Second is the better deal here: Cingular now has quite a selection of phones available (refurbished but that's still great) on their GoPhone website (http://www.cingular.com/gophone) at very nice prices. Before you go over there, check out DealKing and see if you can get $30 back extra from them, though that's about all I know about their promo. Here's the list (the last I checked) of what phones they have (I'm just looking at ones $50 and under), for how much, and how they're rates (by my experience and others')...

As a side note, only a few days ago they had the absolutely sweet, though refurbished, Nokia 3220 cameraphone available...for $40!!! I should've bought one, but alas I didn't. I beg of everyone to take a good look at the models they have and get them while they last, though as a consoling note I'm sure the Samsung c207 and Nokia 6010, and probably the Sony-Ericsson T290a will last for awhile...

Nokia 6010 - $30 ++++ - Tame phone, but a good one
Sony-Ericsson T290a - $30 ++++ - Again basic, but seems to be more feaure-rich, though in my opinion less user-friendly, than the Nokia
Samsung C207 - $30 +++ - It is reputed that the Java on this phone flat out doesn't work, but the fact remains that it is small...
Motorola v173 - $40 +++ - Right. This is the same thing as Tracfone sells, except a little cheaper and refurbished, Personally I'd choose elsewhere but if the shoe fits...
Nokia 6061 - $50 +++ - Normally you wouldn't be able to go wrong with a Nokia, but people have complained about low volume in this otherwise stylish basic flip.
Samsung x497 - $50 ++++ - This is a nice phone, no doubt about it, being a color flip with an external caller ID screen (the 6061 lacks the latter feature). But it is rather large; I've used one for a minute or two



Oh and by the way, Cingular's $100 card now lasts a year. Finally they're in the game again in that respect, but their voice rates are still a good bit higher than they should be (25 cents vs. 10 cents or maybe a tad less with T-Mobile). So I'd unlock the Nokias with a code generator (if you don't have one email me with your model and IME1 and carrier if it's not Cingular and I'll get some codes back to you) or the other phones with a T-Mobile unlock voucher (*grin*) and put them on T-Mo. But then again, Cingular has a nice coverage footprint and un-limited (as in you can go wherever but you pay an arm and a leg for it) internet so I wouldn't throw out the Cingular SIM just yet.

No comments: